Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Savage hoping to hold a backup QB role vs. Army

Tom Savage insists he`s not 100 percent physically, but mentally he`s ""doing great."

""We got a Big East win, I`m happy and I recognize we got a lot more wins coming ahead so it`s exciting," Rutgers` sophomore quarterback said Tuesday in his first comments since injuries forced him to the bench. ""My confidence level is fine. I`m just glad our team got the win and our offense looked very good out there.

As it was Friday when he briefly took office in warmups prior to Rutgers` 27-24 win over UConn, Savage`s right throwing hand Monday was taped in such a way where it appeared to be protecting his middle knuckle.

""I suppose it`s only a combining of things, the wing of my finger," Savage said, detailing the wound a bit. ""It`s only a little painful. It`s not 100 percent yet."

Savage, who injured his hand late in the low half of Rutgers` Oct. 3 loss to Tulane, said the rib injury he sustained against North Carolina the week before isn`t an event now.

""Right now it`s only the hand," said Savage, who had started the previous 13 games prior to sitting out the UConn game. ""I had a couple weeks to let (the ribs) rest so I`m feeling all right. I went out there and made some throws today so I`m feeling pretty good."

When he appointed true freshman Chas Dodd as the starting quarterback for this Saturday`s 2 p.m. game against Army at the New Meadowlands Stadium, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said the goal was to get Savage healthy enough to be capable to hold a support role if Dodd was injured.

Following Tuesday`s practice, Savage said that`s his end as well.

""I look like I will be available," Savage said. ""That`s why I`m out there practicing. I`m taped up and everything. My hand not being 100 percent obviously that`s going to force something but I look like I can have all the plays if I want to."

While he admitted he`s frustrated about not being able to start, Savage said he`s of the mentality that it will be an open quarterback position once he`s healthy.

""When I`m 100 percent Coach (Schiano) is loss to form a determination and obviously whatever decision he makes is leaving to be the mighty one," said Savage, who done the 1st 4 games compiled a Big East-worst pass efficiency rating. ""It is frustrating but once I`m 100 percent I`m going to go out there and compete. Coach will cause the conclusion that better fits the team."

No comments:

Post a Comment