Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Music to Comfort the Wild Beast(s)!

Do you play music in your classroom?I do. I know to represent music while my students work.There is a process, however, to playing music for your students. You get to really (really) listen to it at home. Anything that has rude language, hints at natural language, hints at rude behavior etc. etc. can't be played. I'm certain you already recognize that.

ut, did you understand exactly how many songs of today and even yesteryear reference inappropriate topics for the elementary classroom?

For instance, I don't play "Loveshack" by the B-52's because it references sex (and pregnancy?) in a domicile in the woods (in my college hometown nonetheless!).
There are A LOT of songs that you would guess you could play, but on second (safe) thought, you should probably not play.
Mostly, I hold it to a lot of Beatles and late fifties/early sixties music.I wish that music, and the kids don't appear to mind. I've taught in a lot of various environments and here is what I have learned:People make a lot of opinions on medicine and what they like. . . But, I've never once -in any environment- I had a charge around the Bill Withers, the Beatles or the Indigo Girls (appropriate non-cussing songs only).
One crucial affair is to avoid asking students their opinions about the music.It encourages the students to ask (badger) you to meet their favorites. Which, incidentally, are almost always inappropriate for schooling and so leads to said student attempting to part the rude lyrics of said song with the whole class. Ahem.Instead, I bring what I turn and they can like it or I can turn it off.It sounds a small mercenary, but I remind them that listening to medicine is a favor and they can either be polite, or I can work it off. They always determine to maintain it on.:)
Having said all of the above, the most significant matter I have learned is what character of Pace to play. As often as I love music -all types- the up tempo music gets the kids moving and grooving (great if they are in P.E. class), which is not ever so conducive to running on your art project.
I began to seriously play classical music this year, and it has madeHUGE difference for my classroom management.I had an entire form of kindergartner's working silently(! of their own accord today while Debussy played. I never asked for silence (I try to never do that because I mean it really limits their creativity); they only did it!Wow.I will say that I play calm classical and avoid any dramatic operas.Well, and I avoid most of Tchaikovsky because he is only so "thunder" and "lightening."
Here is what I wish to play:
Lacrimosa by Mozart
Nocturne No. 2 in C Sharp Minor by Chopin
Claire de Lune by Debussy
Un Sospiro by Liszt
Waltz in A Mat by Brahms
Traumerai by Schumann
Piana Concerto No. 1 by Tchaikovsky
Petite Suite: En Bateau Debussy
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart
The Swan (Carnival of the Animals) by Saint-Saens
Requiem - in Paradisum by Faure
Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet by Mancini (not classical, but I know it!)
I wish the current mix I use so often I made a playlist to deal with you.What character of music do you meet in your classroom?
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment