Monday, June 20, 2011

Coming next: Grayson as Captain America? Central Florida .

Former U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson may be down - but he`s not out. The fiery liberal first-term Democrat got steamrolled last November by Dan Webster, R-Winter Garden. But Grayson is holding out the possibility that he may run again next fall - maybe in the newly created, and presumably more Democrat-leaning, district that may be created in Orange and Osceola counties - and he continues to send out fundraising emails.

His latest is over-the-top, even for Grayson. He evokes the Green Lantern, the super-hero whose filmed exploits opened to indifferent reviews over the weekend. But maybe, Grayson opines, the movie would get done better had it tapped into social justice issues, a la the included part of talks from Green Lantern #76.

The text - and image - of his email is below.

The movie Green Lantern opened on Friday, to mixed reviews. Maybe the reviews would have been better if the film had included this powerful exchange, from Green Lantern #76:

African-American Man: Ive been readin about you . . . How you go for the blue skins . . . and how on a planet someplace you helped out the orange skins . . . and you done considerable for the violet skins! Only theres skins you never bother withthe black skins! I desire to know . . . how come?! Answer me that, Mr. Green Lantern!

Green Lantern: I . . . cant . . . .

I may never get the prospect to speak to George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, or any of the former Masters of the World who led and misled our nation for eight long years. Nor may I ever get the opportunity to address to Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Rush Limbaugh, or any of the former savage right-wing loons who wish to complete the job that Bush et al. started. But if I could, I might say:

Me: Ive been readin about you . . . How you go for multinational corporations like Big Oil. . . . And how you say you built all those roads and schools and bridges in some country in Asia. And in some early nation in the Middle East someplace you got rid of some dictator. Only theres one area you never bother withAmerica! I desire to know . . . how come?! Answer me that, Mr. Flag-Waiving [sic] Patriot!

Them: I . . . cant . . . .

Well, I can do that. For a generation now, we have seen the heartless, callous erosion and death of all the things that do you a member of the center course in America:

A job.

A home.

A car.

The opportunity to see a fix when you are sick.

A pension or retirement account.

Social Security and Medicare.

And weve seen them replaced by endless war, falling home values, no pensions, lower wages, and now what Karl Marx called a reserve army of the unemployedto keep wages down forever.

Even after just two days in office, as one out of 435 in the House, I can target to a lot of things that I did to preserve, protect and expound the center course in America, and to assist those of us who were falling through the cracks.

I see at our so-called leaders on the former face of the aisle, and I see nothing like that. Only a perverted pleasure in eliminating programs that service my fellow Americans in need. Theyll lead us, all righttheyll lead us directly to ruin.

The following time you see one of them - at a town hall meeting, in their plush offices, or just onthe streetask them this: What make you through to aid the people? Do me that!

If theyre honest, theyll say what Green Lantern said: I cant.

Courage,

Alan Grayson

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall miss my sight.
Let those who worship evils might,
Beware my power: Green Lanterns Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment